A buddy of mine bought me a cookbook he found at a garage sale for $.25 cents. Beats any price of the bargain shelf books I’ve gotten and BN or Borders. Anyway…I found this recipe in the book and thought it was a fun idea to carry the phyllo crisp over into the dessert. I prepared the phyllo crisp differently than the recipe called for. Also, I think I’d tweak the creme brulee part of this too. Maybe substitute 1 cup of cream for 1 cup of coconut milk. I also added the mango. I think raspberries would be great too.
For the creme brulee:
1 cup of unsweetened grated coconut - divided
2 cups of canned unsweetened coconut milk
2 vanilla beans, split the long way
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 a mango cut into match sticks
For the coconut phyllo crisps
3 sheets of phyllo dough
1/4 cup of melted butter
powdered sugar as needed
For the creme brulee:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Place the grated coconut into a small skillet over medium heat. Toast the coconut until it’s fragrant and golden. Continue to stir it. Should be about 1-2 minutes.
3. In a sauce pan, combine the coconut milk, vanilla and half of the toasted coconut. The remaining coconut will be used with phyllo crisps. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until small bubbles begin to rise.
4. Remove from heat and cool for about 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, beat the egg olks and sugar together until it turns to a light yelllow.
6. Pour a quarter of the coconut milk into this mixture. Stir and then pour this mixture back to the remaining coconut milk. Mix thoroughly.
7. Line an 8″ square baking pan with plastic wrap and pour in the mixture.
8. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the center is barely set. Chill for several hours or until firm. Cut into squares.
For the coconut phyllo crisps:
1. Preheat the oven 375 degrees F.
2. Melt the butter in a small pan.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay one sheet of thawed phyllo dough and brush generously with the melted butter. Dust with powdered sugar and toasted grated coconut.
4. Repeat with the other two phyllo sheets.
5. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or until the butter firms up.
6. Cut the phyllo sheets into 2″ squares or the serving size of your creme brulee.
7. Back until golden brown. Approximately 10 mins.