I put this salad together a couple of weeks ago and it has become one of my favorites. Aleppo pepper is from Turkey and its flavor is smoky and similar to ancho chilis, but has a slightly sweet finish. Aleppo intensifies and gives the naturally salty and rich Halloumi cheese another layer of flavor. Match that with the red grapes and you’ve got a got a party in your mouth.
Serves: 2 as main courses or 4 as starters
For the grilled halloumi:
8 oz. of Halloumi cheese
1 TBs ground aleppo pepper
freshly ground black pepper
olive oil for grilling
1/2 cup of sliced red or black grapes. Green grapes don’t work for me in this recipe. They’re a bit too tart.
For the salad:
5 oz. of mixed green salad
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For balsamic vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the halloumi:
1. Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
2. Cut the halloumi in half vertically and horizontally and coat with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Season with freshly ground black pepper and ground aleppo pepper.
4. Grill the halloumi until golden. Approximately 2-3 mins. per side.
5. While the halloumi is grilling, slice the red grapes.
For the salad:
1. Season the greens with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper/
2. Whisk the balsamic vinaigrette ingredients together and drizzle over the greens.