I’ve been patiently waiting to get my hands on some blood oranges so I can play around with some recipes. You know…something like a blood orange, molasses peppercorn sauce for a nice fillet. But alas, my grocer hasn’t produced and so here I am, filling my curiosities with some other fruits. I made a fruit salad a few weeks back that had white peaches, plums and heirloom tomatoes. It was good and had an interesting mix of flavors…hmmm…where’s the post for it? It’s in draft mode, I’ll get to it soon. With no blood oranges in basket, I stocked up on a couple of grapefruits, a cotton candy melon and some enormous shrimp.
My sister and C were coming over for our usual Sunday dinner. I knew that when I told my sis what was for dinner, she’d pass on it. Her comfort zone for food is rather…”selective.” Well, after we started plating, she had changed her mind and ended up loving the salad.
9 jumbo sized raw shrimp
2 pink grapefruits
4 TBs. of extra virgin olive oil
1 cotton candy melon, a.k.a. sweetie melon
1 tsp. jalapeno, deseeded and minced
1 tsp. of togarashi
black sesame seeds for garnish
For the grapefruit dressing
1. Juice 1/2 a grapefruit into a glass bowl.
2. Add the minced jalapeno and togarashi.
3. While whisking the grapefruit juice, stream in the olive oil and continue whisking til emulsified.
4. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside to let the flavors mingle.
For the salad
1. Boil the shrimp with their shells intact, 3 minutes in salted water.
2. Remove the shrimp from the water, and toss with some of the grapefruit vinaigrette. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
3. Peel the grapefruits and section the slices from their skins. Making sure that all you have left are fruit slices.
4. Peel and slice the avocados into thin slices.
5. Half the cotton candy melon, deseed, cut into slices and remove the skin.